Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Crunge

Greetings and Salutations to all.

”Never tell me the odds” – Han Solo

That should be the mantra on the New York Islanders Hockey Club. And YES – I’m been a fan long before the 4 Cups. A week left in the season, in the midst of the doldrums of a really bad losing streak, the Islanders had an outside chance of making the playoffs. I think the percentage was 1.67%. The coming week would require 4 wins, several wins and losses by certain teams and they would be in. This, my friend would have to be accomplished without their #1 goaltender (Mr. 15-year contract) Rick DiPetro. Nothing against the guy just seems that the contract was a little overrated. No way near A-Rod money, but something about a contract that long irks me.

Moving on….With Ricky hurt, the Isles went with the backup Mike Dunham. A backup journeyman who’s been around the league and the tri-state area playing for now all 3 teams. Dunham was unimpressive leading up to the last week of the season. With this enters Wade Dubielewicz, our #3 goaltender who spent most of the season in the minor league. Well to our surprise Dubie went on a tear for the final week and posted 4 wins against The Rangers, The Flyers, The Mapleleafs and The Devils.

Speaking of the Devils – Easter Sunday, the Islanders are 1 win from the playoffs. Win and in as they say. Did anybody see the last 5 minutes of this game? I did and I’m still having heart palpitations. I decided since I was going to be at my parent’s house, I would be polite and not watch it until the end. This way, no one would bother me; I would socialize with company and yadda, yadda, yadda. After dinner I stole a peak with about 15 minutes to go and Isles up 1-0. Came back with 5 minutes to go and the Isles up 2-0. Turn it off and came back with 2:30 left the Isles up 2-1. I was watching the clock and just hoping that the clock would wind down and the Islanders would keep the pressure on offensive end so the Devils would/could not pull the goaltender. Easier said then done. 20 seconds to go for the Devils with a man advantage and they are scrambling, so are the Islanders for this much. 10 seconds – puck is loose and everybody wants it. 5 seconds to go puck is near the goal mouth. 1 second from the playoffs and Dubie is on his back swiping at the puck. 0.09 ticks and Madden from the Devils scores. Now at this moment it appears that time has run out and the Islanders won. Review shows otherwise and I start screaming “FUCK! FUCK!” in the middle of Easter company. Gotta love couth!

The 4 on 4 OT proved fruitless with no team scoring. I did manage to scream “Satan” every time he touched the puck – just to spruce up the Easter Cheer at my parents house. Of course someone from the peanut gallery had to chime in with “Maybe he needs an exorcism” Yeah thanks Aunt Gladys. We all know it's pronounced ‘Sha-tan”

Now for the dreaded Shoot-Out. I thinking; we’ll it's a coin-flip since both goaltenders are no-names and haven’t played that much. 3 on 3. The Isles scored twice and the Devils once. One more Devil player and he has to be stopped. Brylin comes in;looks to fake on Dubie and he poke-checks the puck away. Islanders Win BABY!!!

Life is good as I sing Dubie, Dubie, Do!!

Game 1 is tonight in Buffalo tonight. The Sabres are the league’s top team and are expected to sweep the Islanders under the ice. Well listen here – I’ll tell you what Bitches –
ISLANDERS IN 7 – You heard here it First!

This week’s money tip is about controlling debt:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/lesson9/

A great article – Some good solid tips.


As for this Imus crap - move along - NEXT!


Sorry no fun clip this week – got a hot tip on a video and checked it out but it was a dud. Sorry!

Tonight's post brought to you by Pepsi (Sorry it’s 2:30pm in the afternoon).
Tonight's post brought to you by the Letters JR.
Tonight's post brought to you by the Number 42.
Nuff said!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop smoking the crack. Maybe they will get one win, I'll give them that but Teddy will be leaving Buffalo with another sabre in his back :)

Look at this way, just getting to round 1 is the Islanders Stanley Cup.

My guess, Sabres vs Ducks in the final. 7 games, Buffalo wins.

Anonymous said...

1 down, 3 more to go